Spreadsheets and Calculators FAQ
1. Can I do fraction calculations on a calculator?
Most modern calcuators can now do fraction calculations using a button such as . It is best that you understand how to do these calculations without a calculator. This understanding will be useful when you do mathematics at a higher level.
2. What is the difference between a column and a row in a spreadsheet?
A column is a VERTICAL line of cells and a row is a HORIZONTAL line of cells.
Columns are labelled with letters, A, B, C... and rows are labelled with numbers 1, 2, 3,...
3. How do you do exponents, powers or indices on a calculator?
Some calculators use a xy button and some use the "^" key similar to the one used on a spreadsheet.
4. How can you find the sum (total) of a column of numbers on a spreadsheet?
There are two ways:
1. Use a function, = sum(A1:A6). This would find the sum or total of the six numbers in the first column.
2. Use a formula = A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6.
Both ways would find the sum (total).