1. Is it possible to have a fraction index?
Yes. A fraction index indicates a root or a surd. e.g.
2. What are the other names for an exponent ?
An exponent is sometimes called a power or index.
3. Is it possible to have a negative index?
Yes. A negative index involves taking the reciprocal of the variable. e.g. x-4 = 1⁄x4
4. What is the value of x0?
The value of x0 is 1.
The value of any number or variable to the power of 0 is equal to 1
5. When my calculator shows 7.14567 4 what does this mean?
7.14567 04 on a calculator means 7.14567 × 10 4
6. How do I use my calculator to evaluate an index such as 5-2?
Use the button xy. To evaluate 5-2 :
The answer should be 0.04