1. Simplify the following scales:
a. 1 cm : 10 m
b. 2 mm : 1 cm
c. 5 mm : 1.5 m
d. 10 mm : 2m
e. 1 cm : 1 km
2. A plan of a building has a scale of 1 : 1000. Calculate the real distance between two places which are the following distances apart on the plan:
a. 15 cm
b. 0.5 cm
c. 120 mm
d. 4.9 cm
e. 35 cm
3. A map of a town has a scale of 1 : 10 000. What distance apart on the map would be two places which are the following distances apart?
a. 3 km
b. 500 m
d. 1200 m
e. 20 234 m
4. A house plan is drawn with a scale of 1 : 200
a. If a room on the plan measures 45 mm by 55 mm, what is its area in real life?
b. If the total area of the house is 1150 m2, what would this area be on the plan?
5. A model of a truck is made to a scale of 1 : 90.
a. If the real truck is 23 metres long, how long will the model be?
b. If the height of the truck is 3.5 m, how high would the model be?
c. If the model of the truck is 4 cm wide, how wide is the real truck?
Give your answers to the nearest centimetre.
6. Use a suitable scale to draw a scale drawing of each of the following shapes.
By measuring and using your scale, calculate the length of the diagonal.
By measuring and using your scale, calculate the length of the longest side of the triangle.